This past year, Osler continued to expand its focus on seniors by continuing to work toward achieving the NICHE (Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders) Exemplar designation at Brampton Civic. Exemplar is the highest level of achievement for this program.
NICHE is the leading nurse driven program designed to help hospitals and health care organizations improve the care of older adults. The mission of NICHE is to provide principles and tools to stimulate a change in the culture of health care facilities to achieve patient-centered care for older adults.
A number of senior-focused initiatives have helped Osler come closer to achieving this status, including:
- The addition of the Post-Acute Short Stay Unit (PASSU) at Etobicoke General;
- Two senior-friendly rooms in our emergency department at Brampton Civic;
- An inter-professional early mobilization strategy, called IN-MOTION, on the medical/palliative unit at Etobicoke General and the Acute Care for the Elderly (ACE) unit at Brampton Civic;
- An inter-professional, proactive geriatric consultation model for delirium Stewardship on Brampton Civic’s orthopaedic unit; and,
- Launch of the evidence-based Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP) that uses specially trained volunteers to engage elderly-patients in meaningful activities to minimize risks of delirium and functional decline on the ACE and Orthopedic unit at Brampton Civic.
Osler’s efforts were successful, as Brampton Civic achieved Exemplar status in April 2015. We will continue implementing the NICHE program and several senior-initiatives at Etobicoke General throughout spring 2015.