Spinach Salad with Apple, Avocado, Asiago & Maple Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced OR ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup OR honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large bunch baby spinach OR lacinato kale (aka tuscan kale, dinosaur kale)
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1/3 cup finely grated asiago cheese OR parmesan
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1. Whisk all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, or shake them up in a small mason jar.
2. Chop spinach thinly into ribbons. Add the apple, cheese, and pumpkin seeds to the spinach or massaged kale and then toss with the dressing until everything is well combined. Scatter the avocado cubes overtop just before serving.
Using kale: Destem the kale (cut it away from the woody stems), and then cut it into thin ribbons. Put the ribbons into a large salad bowl and use your hands to massage the kale by squeezing it firmly. You want to repeat this rub-down several times, in order to break down the tough leaf fibres to make the kale more palatable and silky. If using kale, this salad is best after it's been sitting in the fridge for a few hours (minus the avocado, which should be added just before you eat). While the kale sits, it softens and absorbs the dressing, which makes it quite a bit tastier.
Recipe adapted from: Cooking for Kiwi and Bean