Osler's logo
ccac logo
LHIN logo
region of peel logo

Calling for better integrated care across the community

On April 25, more than 5,100 residents participated in a health care conversation during Osler’s Telephone Town Hall.

Patients and community members had the opportunity to ask senior leadership questions about health care in their community as well as questions specific to programs and services at Osler.

Click to see a full transcript of the events and the discussions that took place.

Frequently asked questions

What is the purpose of the Telephone Town Hall?

As an increasingly popular community engagement forum, the Telephone Town hall is very much a conversation, the purpose of which is two-fold. It allows senior health care leaders from across the Central West area to help residents better understand what each organization does and how they work together to provide health services to the community.
Read more

It also provides area residents with an important opportunity to ask questions and provide participating organizations with valuable feedback around how they might be able to better meet the health needs of patients and families in this area.

Together, the Central West Community Care Access Centre (CCAC), Central West Local Health Integration Network (LHIN), Headwaters Health Care Centre, Region of Peel Health Services and William Osler Health System (Osler) have engaged local residents through four Telephone Town Hall conversations over the past two years. The most recent Telephone Town Hall, conducted in October 2014, engaged nearly 8,000 households across the Central West area in a conversation about local health care and seniors services.

While thousands of households from across the Central West area are randomly selected and invited to join the conversation, anyone can participate. Residents are encouraged to check participating organization websites regularly for updated information on the next Telephone Town Hall.

Community care services

I have been hearing about something called ‘Health Links’. What are they and how will they help better coordinate care in the community?

The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care is improving care for seniors and others with complex conditions through Health Links. This innovative approach brings together health care providers in a community to better and more quickly coordinate care for patients with high needs.
Read more

In 2013-14, the Central West LHIN played a key role in the collaborative design and implementation of Health Links, being one of the first of Ontario’s 14 LHINs to fully implement Health Links across the entire geographic area. Five local Health Links were created, each having adopted a common business plan and a standard model of care to ensure a consistent experience for patients and providers. Health Links in the Central West LHIN include Bramalea and Area, Brampton and Area, Dufferin Area, North Etobicoke - Malton - West Woodbridge Area, and Bolton - Caledon Area.

When different health care providers work as a team to care for a patient, they can better coordinate the full patient journey through the health system, leading to better care for patients. Health Links will help to ensure that patients with complex conditions:

  • No longer need to answer the same question from different providers.
  • Have support to ensure they are taking the right medications appropriately.
  • Have a care provider they can call, eliminating unnecessary provider visits.
  • Have an individualized comprehensive plan, developed with the patient and his/her care providers who will ensure the plan is being followed.

Health Links encourages greater collaboration between existing local health care providers, including family care providers, specialists, hospitals, long-term care, home care and other community supports. With improved coordination and information sharing, patients receive faster care, spend less time waiting for services and are supported by a team of health care providers at all levels of the health care system.

Health Links puts family care providers at the centre of the health care system. By bringing local health care providers together as a team, Health Links helps family doctors to connect patients more quickly with specialists, home care services and other community supports, including mental health services. For patients being discharged from hospital, the Health Link allows for faster follow-up and referral to services like home care, helping reduce the likelihood of re-admission to hospital.

All Health Links have a coordinating partner such as a Family Health Team, Community Health Centre, CCAC or hospital. All members of the Health Link must be willing and able to collaborate in order to better and more quickly coordinate health care services for high-need patients such as seniors and others with complex conditions.

There are a lack of resources in some of the smaller areas outside of Brampton, Etobicoke and Orangeville. How can we get connected with the services we need?

For those who aren’t connected to, or who have limited access to the internet, it can be challenging to find out about the services you may need. Recognizing this, the Central West CCAC has put a telephone number in place at #310-CCAC, that will connect people with a live operator between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. in order to help answer your health care questions and find access to the services you may need.
Read more

In addition, Peel region residents can also dial #211 on their phones to get connected to information and referrals to community and social services in their area.

How can I find out about where to go for care in the community?

Finding services that you need, when and where you need them most can be challenging, so the Central West Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) has set up the ‘Central West Health Line’ at www.centralwesthealthline.ca.
Read more
This website contains reliable, up-to-date information about more than 1,000 health services and supports in Brampton, Caledon, Malton, Etobicoke, and Dufferin County, including walk-in services, clinics and pharmacies – as well as services that are open and available 365 days a year.

How can I get homecare for my elderly parent or find out about other community care services in this area?

The Central West CCAC provides information about and access to in-home and community care. Call 1-888-733-1177 to speak to a trained health care professional, or visit www.centralwesthealthline.ca.
Read more
Both of these resources contain information about care and resources in your area. You can also talk to your family doctor / nurse practitioner, who can connect with the CCAC to discuss how your needs might best be met in or close to home.

What is the general wait time for patients who are going in to long-term care, who can only afford basic accommodation at this time?

The average wait time can be as little as 45 to 50 days for some of the homes that have beds available. Depending on your location, needs and preferences, the wait can also be longer.
Read more
For more information about wait times in our region, visit the Central West CCAC’s website at www.healthcareathome.ca/centralwest and click on “Long-Term Care Wait Times” located along the right side of the homepage. As you do so, however, please note that wait time information is intended to be a resource for families, not a definitive guide on choosing a home. Ultimately, choosing the home that is right for you requires careful consideration of many factors, including your health status, needs and personal preferences. Your CCAC care coordinator can help you determine which options may be best for you.

How can communication between primary care physicians and CCAC be improved?

Working closely with primary care providers is a priority of the Central West CCAC. The organization currently collaborates with these key partners on a number of fronts, and is committed to improving communication with them even further to better serve the people of Central West.
Read more

In June 2013, it launched launch new tools to make accessing the Central West CCAC even easier, including a dedicated phone line, website, and electronic news bulletin for primary care providers. The CCAC trusts these tools will be helpful and the organization looks forward to receiving feedback from its primary care partners about how to best meet their needs.

Going forward, the CCAC will continue to build upon this foundation through initiatives such as Health Links, with the goal of making patient care as seamless as possible.

Hospital programs and services

The city of Brampton needs another hospital. When will Peel Memorial be built?

Brampton is the second fastest growing city in Canada and the volume of patients being treated at Brampton Civic Hospital continues to increase. In addition, the number of people with chronic conditions, such as diabetes, is higher than the provincial average.
Read more

Given the statistics, it is certainly evident that the residents of Brampton and the surrounding area need even greater access to quality health care services, as well as resources and education so that patients can learn to better manage their health and risks of disease.

Osler is currently redeveloping its Peel Memorial Hospital site to open the new Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health and Wellness. Osler is on track to open the new facility in 2015-2016.

In March 2014, Osler together with Infrastructure Ontario (IO), announced the selection of Plenary Health as the preferred team to design, build, finance and maintain the new Peel Memorial. Following contract negotiations, Plenary Health signed a fixed price contract worth approximately $530 million and construction on the new facility officially began in June 2014.

What other redevelopment projects are taking place at Osler?

At Etobicoke General, Osler reached an exciting milestone in its redevelopment journey. On October 23, Osler together with IO, issued a request for qualifications (RFQ) to design, build, finance and maintain the hospital’s new four-storey wing. The RFQ is the first step in a process to select a team with both the construction expertise and financial capacity to design, build, finance and maintain the new four-storey wing.
Read more

Osler is also on track to issue a Request for Proposals (RFP) for a new Ancillary Services Building (ASB) in the coming months. Companies will be able to bid on a contract to design and build the new facility that will be home to physician offices, hospital clinics and classrooms for our education partners. The ASB project is part of the first phase of expansion. Osler also recently issued a RFP to identify a successful vendor to supply the new nurse call system at the hospital, and the project is expected to begin in 2015.

At Brampton Civic, the renovation for the Canadian Blood Services Stem Cell Collection room on the third floor Labour and Delivery unit was completed and is now serving as a collection site for a new national public cord blood bank.

The Cardiac Procedures Unit (CPU) is being expanded to provide more recovery space, which will create a more relaxing, healing atmosphere for patients who have undergone a cardiac procedure or treatment. The unit will remain fully operational during the work, which is expected to be complete by June 2015.

In addition to the exciting changes in the CPU, the Tim Hortons in Brampton Civic’s emergency department also has a brand new look. Construction recently wrapped up on this 24/7 location, which is now open and offering a full service menu.

What is being done to improve wait times in Osler emergency departments?

Like all hospitals across the province, Osler continues to deal with pressures in our emergency departments (EDs). Osler EDs had more than 204,000 patient visits in 2013-2014, with Brampton Civic Hospital having the busiest emergency department in Ontario. On average, our emergency patient volumes increase by six to eight per cent each year, compared with an average increase of two to three per cent across other hospital emergency departments in the province.
Read more

Osler is doing everything possible to ensure patients and their families receive timely, safe and compassionate care, but it also continues to look for ways to improve its services. Osler continues to add more ED physician hours to help respond to the need for care and to effectively manage length of stay. Osler is one of the first EDs in the province to have more than one physician in the ED overnight.

Osler’s on-call coverage is available at any time so that if our volumes exceed capacity, additional physicians can be called in. Members of the ED health care team also have ‘medical directives’ to start the care of the patient, even before they are seen by the attending physician.

Osler has also created an ED video which is a great resource to help familiarize people with the ED so they understand what happens there on a typical day.

Why does it take so long to see a specialist?

Waiting to see a specialist can be difficult, particularly when an appointment is not right away. Local health partners are working diligently on a number of initiatives to help provide greater access to specialists in the area, and to reduce time spent waiting to see one.
Read more
If you would like to follow-up about your appointment, or inquire about trying to get an appointment even sooner – or with another specialist, contact your family practitioner’s office or have a conversation with your physician during your next appointment.

Why do I have to pay for parking at the hospital? What do the fees go towards?

The funds generated from parking charges support various hospital initiatives and functions, such as purchasing new equipment and funding services that address the health needs of our region’s growing and diverse communities.
Read more
Fees are determined annually following a market review of similar-sized hospitals to ensure rates are in line with what other facilities are charging.

Why are there no ultrasounds or other diagnostic services at night in the emergency departments?

For urgent cases, doctors will perform the services they need to conduct in order to provide the care that is needed. If a particular service can wait until the next morning, they will be deferred to the next morning, as the hospital cannot be staffed in the same way overnight, and it is during the day.
Read more
Osler has made changes to its services so that radiologists and techs will stay later in the evening (e.g. 9 p.m. or 10 p.m.) so that services can be expanded into the later hours of the day.

What if I don’t have transportation to get to and from my appointments in Dufferin County?

In Dufferin County and surrounding areas, Headwaters Health Care Centre recognizes that transportation is an issue. Headwaters Communities in Action has created the Dufferin Rural Transportation Learning Group to develop specific recommendations to improve transportation in that area. Click here for more information on this project.
Read more
Currently, to get to and from appointments, a number of volunteer, community groups and service clubs will offer to pick you up to take you to appointments. Please call your local organization to find out more.

What are Headwaters Health Care Centre’s redevelopment plans?

Real transformation is underway with our Ambulatory Care Project. The hospital has not added any additional space since it was built in 1997.
Read more
However, we have seen a tremendous increase in the number of patients who come through our doors every year. Hospital redevelopment involves a more than 8,000 square foot expansion and renovation of ambulatory care and surgical services spaces. This redevelopment will support oncology, orthopaedics, plastic surgery, dialysis, telemedicine and effectively increase access to care and bring services closer to home.

What programs and services does Headwaters Health Care Centre provide and are there programs specifically for seniors?

Headwaters Health Care Centre is an acute and complex continuing care, senior-friendly community hospital. For the third year in a row, we ranked among the top three in the province for low emergency department wait times.
Read more

As a medium-sized hospital in a fast growing region, partnerships for care such as cardiac care, oncology and mental health are vitally important to us. The hospital has a number of programs and services for seniors, and through our partners, we offer access to health care specialists in our region.

Telehomecare services for patients living with heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Using technology, health care professionals remotely monitor and provide regular health coaching to patients in their homes.

As part of the Central West LHIN Chronic Kidney Disease Program, patients who come to Headwaters for dialysis treatment now have access to kidney specialists closer to where they live (William Osler Health System).

Our local Family Health Team has a Memory Clinic within its Shelburne and Orangeville offices. Health care professionals who work in these clinics work closely with a geriatric psychiatrist to recognize early onset of dementia. We also work closely with our local Alzheimer Society team.

Our Telemedicine Suite provides personal videoconferencing services with health care professionals and all but eliminates the barriers of time and distance, which gives patients a whole new level of convenience, efficiency and independence. In addition to providing video conferencing consultations between the patient and health care professional, our suite hosts a variety of educational events for the public including presentations and workshops on health issues such as Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia and Stress Management.

To learn more about Headwaters Health Care Centre, please visit www.headwatershealth.ca.

Regional resources

How can I access services in other languages than English?

The Region of Peel offers a special website – http://www.immigrationpeel.ca – for newcomers to the region, or for those who are in the process of immigrating to Canada and thinking of settling in Peel. This site contains a number of resources for newcomers to Peel, including how to access various health services, and many are in languages other than English.The Central West CCAC also offers live interpreter services in hundreds of languages. If someone you know does not speak English but needs to access home and community care, they can call the CCAC at 1-888-733-1177 and an interpreter will assist with their call.

Where can I learn about various topics, including nutrition, smoking cessation or managing stress?

Both Peel Public Health and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health have some useful resources to help you learn more about ways to improve and maintain your health. This information is most readily accessed through either Peel Public Health’s website http://www.peelregion.ca/health/ or Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health’s website www.wdgpublichealth.ca.
Read more

You can browse through an extensive list of health topics on the sites to help you find the right answer to your health questions. However, you can find out information about these three specific topics – nutrition, smoking and managing stress – by following the links provided below:

  1. Nutrition and Healthy Eating: http://www.peelregion.ca/health/eating/. Please note that there are also individual pages for:
  2. Smoking and Tobacco: http://www.peelregion.ca/health/tobacco/tobaccor.htm or http://www.wdgpublichealth.ca/?q=adulttobacco
  3. Alcohol and Drugs: http://www.wdgpublichealth.ca/?q=adultalcohol
  4. Stress Management: http://www.peelregion.ca/health/commhlth/coping/copstr.htm. There is also specific information on how to cope with stress at work:
    http://www.peelregion.ca/health/workplace/employees/stress/ or
  5. Active Living: http://www.wdgpublichealth.ca/?q=adultactive
  6. http://www.wdgpublichealth.ca/?q=adultactive

If you prefer to speak to someone in person or have questions that cannot be answered through our online resources, Peel residents can call 905-799-7700, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. Caledon residents can call 905-584-2216 free of charge. Residents of Wellington, Dufferin, or Guelph can call 1-800-265-7293 free of charge, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.

Finally, health professionals looking to find out more information about these or other public health topics should visit Peel Public Health’s NEW health professionals website http://www.peelregion.ca/health/professionals/ or Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health’s Healthcare Providers website http://www.wdgpublichealth.ca/?q=healthcare.

Related information

Resource Center

Helpful links to the most useful lists and forms for health professionals.

Connect with Osler