Osler safely resumes some non-urgent surgeries and procedures as part of phased COVID-19 recovery
June 26, 2020, BRAMPTON/ETOBICOKE – William Osler Health System (Osler) has begun to safely resume some priority non-urgent services, following recent approval from Ontario Health Central Region. Phase 1 of Osler’s Recovery Plan includes the gradual resumption of surgical procedures, endoscopies, cardiac diagnostics, cardiac procedures, and diagnostic imaging.
These services were paused after the Ministry of Health requested all Ontario hospitals scale down non-urgent surgeries, outpatient appointments, and procedures in March to enable a safe and primary focus on COVID-19. Urgent and emergent surgeries and procedures continued through this time.
“We know patients have been anxiously and patiently awaiting the surgical and procedural care that was postponed due to the pandemic. Our teams are looking forward to welcoming more patients back to our hospitals, and we continue to work diligently behind-the-scenes to plan how we will safely resume operations fully when that time comes,” said Kiki Ferrari, Executive Vice President, Clinical Operations. “Osler’s top priority in all decision-making remains the health and safety of our patients, our community, staff, physicians, and volunteers.”
In recent months, Osler has expanded virtual care services to ensure more patients can maintain their health at home. Osler will continue to offer accessible virtual care, where possible, in order to optimize timely care.
“Given the higher number of cases in the region relative to the rest of the province, and a number of COVID patients still in hospital, we are proceeding cautiously, with our phased approach allowing us to safely resume some services while remaining flexible and able to scale back in the event of future waves of COVID-19,” added Ferrari. “Patients can be assured Osler is taking every precaution to ensure their health and safety – and that our hospitals remain safe places to come for care.”
What you need to know about Osler resuming non-urgent surgeries and procedures
- Patients whose surgeries and procedures are being rescheduled will be contacted by their physician or health care team, who will explain any requirements before the appointment.
- Osler remains a safe place to receive care. Screening processes will remain in place. All persons entering the hospital must be screened for COVID-19, sanitize their hands and wear a mask as provided. In some clinical areas, further screening and precautions may also be necessary.
- Across its sites, Osler continues to implement enhanced cleaning practices and safety measures to ensure the safety of everyone who comes through its doors.
- Osler is working diligently to serve patients and understands that many people have been anxiously waiting for their appointments. Everyone’s patience is greatly appreciated.
- If you have a worsening condition or symptoms, or have urgent health care concerns, visit the closest Emergency Department.