Contact information:   

Brampton Civic
2100 Bovaird Drive East, Brampton L6R 3J7
Tel: 905-494-2120 ext. 58333

Etobicoke General
101 Humber College Blvd, Etobicoke, M9V 1R8
Tel: 416-494-2120 ext. 32411

Peel Memorial
20 Lynch Street, Brampton, L6W 2Z8
Tel: 905-494-2120 ext. 29206

Frequently asked questions

1. What is the minimum age requirement for me to volunteer?

15 years or older at time of application.

2. How do I apply to volunteer? 

The Adult, University/College and High School Programs are generally open to applicants all year.  There is also a summer program for University/College and High School students. 

  • UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE STUDENTS: Students must be available to volunteer from May 1st  to August 31st, for 2 fixed shifts daytime/weekdays only. Applications are open Jan 15 - March 15 each year.
  • HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: Students must be available to volunteer from July 1st to August 31st, for 2 fixed shifts daytime/weekdays only.  Applications are open Feb 15 - April 15 each year.

All applications are submitted online. Please go to Apply Now’ review the requirements and follow the links to the applications forms.

3. How long does the application process take?  

Once you submit your application, it will be reviewed, taking into account your experience, skills, and availability along with our current program needs. If there is no immediate match we will keep your application on file.  If we do not contact you within 3 months of receiving your application, you are welcome to reapply. Please note that we receive a substantial number of applications. Regretfully, we will not be able to guarantee a placement for everyone and will contact successful candidates only. 

4. I submitted in my application, did you receive it?  

Because of the substantial number of applications we receive we are unable to confirm receipt of applications.

5. I submitted my application and didn’t hear back, when will I be contacted?

Regretfully, because of the substantial number of applications we receive we are not able to guarantee a placement for everyone. We only contact successful candidates. If you have not been contacted within three months of applying you are welcome to reapply.

6. I am looking for something short term, do you have that available?

All volunteers are required to complete 60 hours which will take 6-8 months.

7. Can I volunteer more than once a week?

Yes, if you have the availability.

8. Can I volunteer in more than one service area?  

Yes, however the requirement remains 60 hours per service. Once you complete the minimum hours (60) you can request to switch to another service area.

9. I have a rotating schedule, can I volunteer at my own time?

Flexible schedules are restricted to lobby connections. Each request is assessed case by case.

10. Can I do my high school 40-hour volunteer requirement at Osler?

Yes, however our minimum requirement is 60 hours.

11. I had my immunizations completed within the last five years, can I use them?

You will still be required to complete the Immunization Record Form with the relevant results.  You will also need to complete a one-step TB test, as this is only valid for 1 year. You can discuss this further during your phone interview if you are selected.

12. Do you pay for Immunizations?

No, we ask that you complete the immunization Record Form with your family doctor or a walk-in clinic, they can advise you on the applicable fees.

13. Do I need a police check before I start volunteering?

Due to the nature of working in a health care environment, you will be exposed to the vulnerable population (example: children, elderly, or persons with disabilities). Starting January 1st, 2017, all applicants, over the age of 18 years, who are successfully selected after the in-person interview will be provided a conditional offer of acceptance and will be asked to obtain either a Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) or a Police Information Check (PIC). Depending on a number of factors, the processing time may take 2-4 weeks. Applicants are responsible for the applicable fees.

14. Do you accept Co-operative (Co-op) Education Students?

We offer a High School Co-operative Education program in partnership with various school boards across Toronto, York and Peel regions. Contact your high school guidance office for more information.

15. I’m interested in observerships or placements. How can I apply?

Job shadowing, observerships or mentoring does not come under the scope of volunteering and is therefore not offered.

16. Does volunteering give me an edge when I apply for a job at Osler?  

All Osler job vacancies are posted online and volunteers are required to follow the standard job application procedures. You can of course include your volunteering experience on your resume/application.

17. Do you provide certificates and/or references?

Certificates can be requested once you complete 60 hours of service. References can be requested after 100 hours of service.

18. What is VicNet?

VicNet is an online portal for current volunteers to access their volunteer account remotely from any device that has internet access. To login simply use your personal email address and 5 digit login number that you use when you sign into your account at the hospital.  If you are a current volunteer and experiencing difficulties accessing your account, please contact the volunteer office.


Related Information