COVID-19 Outbreak Update
The health and safety of Osler’s patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and the community is a top priority. As Osler continues to see community spread of COVID-19, the hospital is prepared. Osler remains vigilant and is actively working to respond to additional cases.
Outbreak on Brampton Civic Hospital's Complex Continuing Care Unit
On December 2, Osler declared a COVID-19 outbreak on Brampton Civic Hospital’s Complex Continuing Care Unit. At this time, the area will be closed to new admissions and patient transfers.
Outbreak on Etobicoke General Hospital’s 10th Level
On November 30, Osler declared a COVID-19 outbreak on Etobicoke General Hospital’s 10th Level. At this time, the area will be closed to new admissions and patient transfers.
When is an outbreak declared?
Outbreaks are declared, based on guidance set out by the Province, when Osler’s Infection Prevention and Control and Occupational Health and Safety teams and Public Health discover two or more individuals who test positive for acute respiratory illness with any common link, at least one of which is a laboratory confirmed COVID-19 case.
What measures are taken when a COVID-19 outbreak occurs?
Osler is taking extra precautions to protect patients and health care workers. These measures include:
- Notifying patients and using the appropriate precautions to prevent transmission of the virus.
- Testing and monitoring staff, physicians and patients for COVID-19, as appropriate.
- Limiting staff members who normally work on multiple units to work on one unit only.
- Enhancing cleaning of patient care equipment and the hospital units.
Is the hospital still safe during an outbreak?
Yes. Our hospitals remain open and safe places to receive care. As part of Osler’s pandemic plan, the following are in place at all Osler hospitals:
- Screening of everyone entering the hospital
- Visitor restrictions
- Increased education for staff about the use of personal protective equipment and proper hand hygiene
- Physical distancing
All Osler staff and physicians are advised to monitor and report symptoms to Osler’s Occupational Health & Safety immediately if symptoms develop at any time.